Conservation / Research / Advocacy Internship in Poros
Our collaborator is a local non-profit N.G.O that has been established in Kefalonia island (GREECE) since 1993. The philosophy of them is the search for solutions co-existence between humans and the Nature through sustainable development in order to support both the economy from the natural environment and the preservation of quality of life in Kefalonia. The main objective of the Group according to the first Article of its Constitution is the conservation of the sea turtle (Caretta caretta) in Katelios-Mounda Bay and the research of coastal area and the habitats of the main nesting population.
Activities: Protection / Research / Conservation/ Awareness / Advocacy
Protection of the marine turtles (Caretta caretta)
- Distributing leaflets to inform locals and tourists
- Informing summer tourists at the open environmental information center located in the village of Katelios
- Designed posters to help in promoting the protection of marine turtles C. caretta
- To undertake planting to protect the nesting beaches from artificial light and noise
- Removing litter from the nesting beaches
- Giving lectures on C. caretta and the marine life of the island of Kefalonia
- Leading workshops with young children carrying out games on the subject of the sea and marine life
- Research and behavior observation of C. caretta
Nightly observation of the female C. Caretta aiming at:
- Measuring the time of laying the eggs
- Counting the eggs
- Visual check-up of C. caretta
- Checking the tag number of tagging if it not registered yet
- Location of the nests in the morning hours
- After 60 days monitoring and observation of the new born C. carettas.
- Ten days about after the last C. caretta has hatched the nest will be excavated so that the rate of successful hatching can be evaluated.
- Surveying other nesting beaches and monitoring of nests
Examples of Night Research Work Activities:
21:00-22:00 Prepares equipment for night research
22:00-06:00 Timed patrols (with rest periods) along the shore-line looking for fresh turtle tracks
When a turtle is observed nesting, the trained volunteers with the help of the staff if needed, take a number of measurements: For example the length and width of the adult turtle, the time intervals of the nesting process, the number of eggs laid, the size and weight of a sample of the eggs checking the tag number or tagging it is not registered. The average duration available to undertake these measurements is around 1 and half hours.
06:00 Patrols finish time to go home
Example for Day Work Activities
07:00-09:00 When a turtle has nested a morning patrol of 2 people go to beach to measure the tracks, to take the position of the nest, Distribute infomation leaflets to the tourists. This normally takes about two-four hours
08:00 -9:30 Breakfast followed by general cleaning activities around camping area
09:30-11:00 Painting, drawing and construction of information posters, Developing environmental education programs and materials for local children-Developing slide show programs for foreign and Greek visitors.
11:00-13:00 Information work at the Environmental Kiosk in Katelios village – Giving newsletters and information to visitors about Caretta caretta and the marine and terrestrial environment.
13:00-18.00 Free time
19:00-21:00 preparation for slide show talks – presenting slide show talks to tourists
End of the work day
Other day work includes( possibly) the surveying of known turtle nesting beaches on the island this generally takes a whole day as well as the surveying of male turtle behavior patterns normally undertaken in the afternoon and evening to tourists.
Ø practical demonstrations on marine turtle data collection.
Ø supply of scientific equipment and learning according the needs and methods of the Turtle project
Offer for free:
Simple commune basic camping shared accommodation in a farm – house yard, toilet, shower, kitchen, sea canoe, bicycles.
Participation fee (non refundable): 200€
We connect European students with companies all over Europe.
To apply for this job please visit europe-internship.com.